Spots in The Mailbag are hard to come by. Here are some recent arrivals that stood out.
- "Cleopatra Afrodisiac"
by the abstract Ricquo Jones is easily the most perfectly named song to end up in our ears this week. Listen to it. Minus the Jerry Maguire line, it's pretty entertaining. It's like your brain is swimming. To expand a bit on what Day and a Dream said about it, Jones manages to talk about a girl that fucked his brain up with the music (sputtery and sporadic and occasionally off-kilter) as much as he does with the lyrics.
- Former Artist of the Week Herney the Great (right) let loose the first single from his forthcoming Diary of a Young Black Male tape.
- Young Sensation has something that he's "Gotta Do." Sorry. That was horrible. Don't let that you keep from clicking though. Sensation is one of the guys that is moving up the "I Need To Listen To This As Soon As He Sends It To Me" list with a certain amount of urgency. Remember when he did that "Whip My Hair" freestyle? He kinda crushed that.
- If the first line in your song contains a diabetes metaphor, you can expect to earn a spot in The Mailbag. Affiliated Soldierz, everyone.
- This young man, a "Fighter"
it appears, is fresh out of rehab.
- A few weeks ago, KAB The Monster won an original beat from acclaimed producer Mr. Rogers at SP2's Kickback Sundays event. This is what he did with it.
- Here's "What's Good,"
the first showing in The Mailbag from the braggart Authentic Snoopy. Really enjoy the bass line in this song. Here's AS on Twitter, click-worthy if for no other reason than because the current background is a party flyer that contains a barely-dressed video dancer, some rappers and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Not so certain that's what he had in mind. Never mind. He's since changed it. But trust us, it was there. And it was mighty ironic.
- Here's the new video from The Niceguys, which has been tweeted roughly 9,000 times since Thursday. There's no way you can watch the first 30 seconds and not become a fan of director Danny Ocean. Proper feature on them in the works.
- Whatever it is that hasHBrown and FLOSS are (re)opening, you can bet it's going to be successful. "Grand Reopening."
- Nobody is talking about Roderick Vonn (formerly of JUZCOZ), but if we had to make a list of the Top 10 or so New Houston guys, he's sliding in there firmly. "Fighter"
- Kris Krunk's "H-Town FTW"
does not stand for what you think it stands for.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!