10 Good Differences Between 2000 and 2010
Note: This was written by Richard Connelly and Craig Hlavaty
We take a look in the print edition this week at a decade most of us would just as soon forget, the period from 2000-2010.
But we have to admit not everything was bad. Cell phones, for instance, got a hell of a lot better.
So look at "Good Riddance" to remember the bad things. Here are ten good things from the decade. And feel free to add your own in the comments.
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. St. Thomas University Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Dec. 21, 7:00pm
Advocare V100 Texas Bowl
TicketsWed., Dec. 28, 8:00pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee State Univ Blue Raiders Mens Basketball
TicketsThu., Jan. 5, 7:00pm
PRCA XTreme Bulls
TicketsFri., Jan. 6, 7:30pm
10) Hip way to listen to/steal music 2000: Napster I can only download a few songs at a time because we only have dial-up. 2010: Torrents Let's just download everything recorded ever while we go get a beer.
9) Hot Smut 2000: Porn On DVD You mean, I don't have to fast forward anymore to the money shot? 2010: Porn On Your Phone You mean I can watch the money shot while I am in line at the grocery store?
8) Hermann Park 2000: Slightly down on its heels Due for a fix-up 2010: Spiffy, rejuvenated public space From the zoo to the train to the waterplay area, it's all good
7) Local Politician We Can Point To To Indicate How Progressive We Are 2000: Joe Roach Only a councilman 2010: Annise Parker Only a worldwide celebrity
6) Hot Chat Client 2000: AIM A/S/L? 2010: Google Chat LOL
5) Hip Transportation 2000: Skateboards Kick, kick, push. 2010: Fixed Gear Bikes Brakes are for the suburbs.
4) Hot Godfather Of Indie-Rock 2000: Kurt Cobain Angst rules. 2010: Bruce Springsteen Hopeful romanticism rules.
3) Astros 2000: Still never have been to a World Series We'd settle for winning a damn playoff series 2010: Been to a World Series Getting swept still counts, right?
2) Downtown YMCA 2000: Seedy looking junkie hotel with an indoor track "Sorry, two dudes playing swords in the sauna: I'll come back later" 2101: Space-Age brothel from THX 1138 "You can watch Glee on the treadmill. That's cool, right?"
1) Box Office Champs 2000: The Grinch Cyncial, badly made crap for kids 2010: Toy Story 3 Heartfelt, well-crafted entertainment for kids and adults
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.