10 Reasons To Be Optimistic For the 2009 Astros
I know what you're thinking. After yesterday's 12-1 spring training loss to the New York Mets, the Astros are now 1-16-3 and haven't won in 19 straight games. You're probably going through some kind of depression - I know I am, but that's got more to do with losing my job than anything else. So you want to know why you should feel good about this upcoming season?
Well, I've got 10 reasons for you to feel optimistic about the Astros in 2009.
10. So far, neither Mike Hampton nor Russ Ortiz has suffered an injury.
9. Roy Oswalt is performing in the clutch. Sure, it's for Team USA and not the Astros, but still, clutch is clutch.
8. Hunter Pence hasn't crashed into any sliding glass doors.
7. With Aaron Boone's heart problems, Geoff Blum can have third base all to himself.
6. The Astros are on their way to baseball's worst spring training record in 25 years.
5. Hey, Miguel Tejada probably won't be going to jail.
4. Craig Biggio is in camp. Working with minor leaguers, but he's still in camp.
3. Have you seen the ERAs of the Astros pitching staff? That can mean only one thing: Drayton McLane is on the phone begging Jose Lima to return to the rotation.
2. Things can only get better.
1. If the Astros keep sucking like this, there should be plenty of good seats available at Minute Maid Park this season, even for unemployed bums like me.
And don't forget, if you haven't yet, give us your suggestion for this year's Astros marketing slogan. (Editor's Note: Just leave a comment, it's easier than injuring Matsui.)
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- The Army Must Pay KBR $30 Million for Legal Fees
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
- Trailer for "Concussion" Released, NFL Braces for Backlash (w/ VIDEO)
- City's Chief Procurement Officer Says She Was Forced To Resign