Maybe it's always been this way and I just didn't notice, maybe this year is just a little bit different, but I had no idea that the Fourth of July was such a treasure trove for NFL offseason chicanery.
Of course, we had the fireworks mishaps that saw not one, but TWO NFL players lose digits — cornerback C.J. Wilson of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul of the New York Giants. Neither of those were criminal acts (or at least, neither guy has been arrested yet for the illegal use of fireworks), but they were certainly self-inflicted crimes against their respective football careers.
As for actual crimes committed during our nation's 239th birthday, we head to Virginia Beach, VA, where Tennessee Titans wide receiver Justin Hunter found himself in hot water after a bar fight at a place called Sandbar Surf Bar. Here are the details on what went down on that fateful evening, courtesy of WTKR Channel 3 in Virginia Beach:
Police say this happened on July 3rd during a large fight at the Sandbar Surf Bar on Atlantic Avenue.
The person who was assaulted was taken to the hospital to be treated. It has not been said how badly the person was hurt during the assault.
Police have charged Hunter with one count of Felonious Assault. Virginia Beach Police couldn’t specify what exactly that charge includes, but according to the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office it is the same charge as a Malicious Wounding. Hunter is now in the Virginia Beach City jail on no bond. He will be in court on Tuesday for his arraignment.
The Tennessee Titans are reportedly aware of the situation and are waiting for more information to come out. Last season, his second in the league, Hunter had 28 catches for 498 yards. Thus far, it's safe to say that Hunter, who was the 34th pick overall in the 2013 draft, has been a major disappointment. If you're asking the age old "Are you worth the trouble?" question about Hunter, the answer is erring rapidly towards "No".
A few months ago, Hunter was at a Titans team event for the 2015 NFL Draft and his reaction to Marcus Mariota's selection as quarterback of the Titans was captured on video. Hunter seemed unimpressed with the pick…
I'm guessing Mariota has a similar reaction when he sees Hunter's mugshot...
Titans WR Justin Hunter is in jail in Virginia after police charged him w/1 ct of felonious assault in Virginia Beach pic.twitter.com/jkHGxAjU1J— NewsChannel 5 (@NC5) July 20, 2015
Now, the latest standings in the 2015 FCL, adjusted for Justin Hunter's involvement:
FANTASY CRIME LEAGUE STANDINGS
DETROIT LIONS .. 10 points
* 4/17/15: Lions OL Rodney Austin is arrested for assault on a female, assault on a child under 12, interference with emergency communications, and misdemeanor larceny (assuming three felonies and one misdemeanor here)
GREEN BAY PACKERS .. 7 points
* 2/3/15: Packers DT Letroy Guion is arrested for felony possession of marijuana and felony possession of a firearm.
* 7/4/15: Packers TE Andrew Quarless is arrested for firing his gun twice in public (misdemeanor).
BALTIMORE RAVENS .. 6 points
* 3/1/15: Ravens DB Victor Hampton is arrested for DWI.
* 3/18/15: Ravens RB Bernard Pierce is arrested for DUI.
ATLANTA FALCONS .. 3 points
* 5/29/15: Falcons LB Prince Shembo is arrested for felony animal cruelty.
BUFFALO BILLS .. 3 points
* 7/12/15: Bills offensive line coach Aaron Kromer is arrested for battery with intent to cause injury.
CHICAGO BEARS .. 3 points
* 5/25/15: Bears DL Ray McDonald reportedly is arrested on charges of domestic violence.
DENVER BRONCOS .. 3 points
* 6/3/15: Broncos administrative employee John Bowlen is arrested on domestic violence charges.
SAN FRANCISCO 49ers .. 3 points
* 3/5/15: 49ers FB Bruce Miller is arrested for spousal battery.
TENNESSEE TITANS .. 3 points
* 7/20/15: Titans WR Justin Hunter is arrested for felonious assault.
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS ... 2 points
* 2/3/15: Colts LB D'Qwell Jackson is arrested for assault.
* 2/5/15: Colts RB Ahmad Bradshaw is charged with marijuana possession.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
HOUSTON TEXANS .. 1 point
* 7/1/15: Texans DL Brandon Ivory is arrested for first-degree burglary.
DALLAS COWBOYS ... 1 point
* 2/3/15: Cowboys RB Joseph Randle is cited for marijuana (unclear if it's a misdemeanor or just a citation, so FCL scoring is pending)
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS .. 1 point
* 3/29/15: Saints CB Brian Dixon is arrested for resisting arrest without violence.
Listen to Sean Pendergast on SportsRadio 610 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays. Also, follow him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SeanTPendergast.