25 Random Thoughts on This Upcoming Astros Season
25. The first Astros pitcher to collect a loss will be Brett Myers when he blows a save -- that save will probably be blown by way of a home run.
24. Jim Crane will fire Milo Hamilton in mid-May after Crane, stuck in his car and not able to make a home game, gets pissed that the only thing he learns is what Milo had for lunch.
23. What number will be higher? The number of home runs hit by Carlos Lee or the number of games missed by new shortstop Jed Lowrie?
22. On the plus side, the Astros aren't the Chicago Cubs.
21. At some point around the All-Star break, Jeff Luhnow will snap and, instead of implying that Ed Wade's an idiot, will come right out and say it.
20. The Astros will not lose more than 100 games this season.
19. Hey, this is the last year of Brandon Lyon's contract.
18. The Astros will be bad this season, but they won't be the worst team in major league baseball.
17. Games will be shorter this season as Humberto Quintero won't be around to throw down to first base after every pitch.
16. Carlos Lee will run at some point this season. It might be to the buffet, but at some point, he'll attempt to flash some speed.
15. If you want to catch a home run ball, be sure to go to a game when J.A. Happ's pitching.
14. How is J.A. Happ still in a major league rotation?
13. Chris Johnson will excel at third base, both on offense and defense.
12. Hey, did you know the Astros are moving to the American League West next season?
9. Since Brett Wallace is starting the season in AAA, who will be the young player destroyed by Brad Mills this season? I'm thinking Jose Altuve.
8. I'm really, really, really hoping that at some point this season, the Astros have, for the first time in MLB history, two UH Cougar catchers on the major league roster (Chris Snyder and Chris Wallace).
7. Jeff Luhnow won't blow the number one draft pick.
6. At least Astros fans won't have to worry about the team blowing a huge lead at the end of the season like the Braves and Red Sox did last season.
5. Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies will continue to be the best broadcasting team in baseball.
4. Am I the only one who fears Brad Mills will find another way to get an entire season of at-bats for Angel Sanchez?
3. Jordan Lyles will replace J.A. Happ in the rotation by mid-June.
2. J.D. Martinez will be the Astros' All-Star game representative.
1. Brad Mills will not be the manager next season.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.