6 College Football Coaching Changes: From Shadiest to Slimiest
From status-seeking coaches to wheeling-and-dealing athletic directors, the post-season shake-up of college football head coaches has been a bit curious.
The top (lowest?) six moves are ranked here on a scale of shady to slimy ("mildly shady" being a 1 while a "super duper ball of slimy grossness" checks out at 10).
6. Rich Rodriguez -- Arizona University of Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne announced the hiring of ex-West Virginia and Michigan main man (who spent this season as a play-by-play announcer for the CBS Sports Network) on Twitter. In this case, stupid equals shady. Shady-slimy number: 2
5. Urban Meyer -- Ohio State Pat Forde of YahooSports.com wrote the following about Meyer, who said health issues were the reason he had to quit the Florida gig in 2010: "The real Urban Meyer is a guy who forfeited believability a few conflicting stories ago. He was sick, then he was healthy, then he was sick again...and now apparently he's fine just in time to take a Cadillac job in his home state at a school he grew up revering." Shady-slimy number: 3
Houston Texans vs. Arizona Cardinals
TicketsSun., Nov. 19, 12:00pm
Rice Owls Football vs. North Texas
TicketsSat., Nov. 25, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers
TicketsSun., Dec. 10, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
TicketsMon., Dec. 25, 3:30pm
Houston Open - Good Any One Day Grounds
TicketsSun., Apr. 1, 11:59pm
4. Charlie Weis -- Kansas A bizarre hire of the ostracized Notre Dame coach was made more so when Weis, who spent 2011 as Florida's offensive coordinator, said after taking the KU job, "It's going to be a quick stop...I'm going to be here for five years, because my wife and I had planned for me to be working at Florida for the next five years and then try to be put in a situation where we can walk away." So much for playing it safe with the "this is not a quick stop" chatter that every other coach usually says. Shady-slimy number: 4.5
3. Mike Leach -- Washington State Paul Wulff, taxed with the impossible chore of turning around the Cougars, thought he might be asked back for a fifth season by athletic director Bill Moos because dude apparently had his back. Instead, Wulff was canned. Two days later, Moos hired ex-Texas Tech baller Mike Leach. Just an efficient job search? Shady-slimy number: 6
2. Kevin Sumlin -- Texas A&M Some blame a distracted Sumlin -- who was apparently courted by Arizona State and UCLA -- for the Coogs' implosion in a three-touchdown blowout loss to Southern Mississippi in the Conference-USA title game. Those folks may be right on about A&M's new coach. Shady-slimy number: 7
1. Todd Graham -- Arizona State "Take it easy, fellas" after a year at Rice. "Later, guys" following four campaigns at Tulsa. And "peace out, Panthers" after just one season at Pittsburgh, but not before informing his players of his decision via text message. How long before he pulls the Houdini trick on the Sun Devils? Shady-slimy number: 9.5
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.