7 HPD Officers Disciplined Over DWI Cop Case
Senties confirmed a Houston Chronicle report that the following actions were taken:
Assistant Chief Dan Perales and Sgt. Paul Ogden were given written reprimands; supervisors Capt. Robert Manzo and Lt. Andrew King were suspended one day without pay, and thee other officers were ordered to counseling over their actions.
The officer who began it all, Sgt. Ruben Trejo, was fired last week for the April 13 crash.
TicketsFri., Feb. 24, 8:00pm
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 10A-3PM
TicketsSat., Feb. 25, 10:00am
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Mens Basketball
TicketsSat., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 10AM-6PM
TicketsSun., Feb. 26, 10:00am
Seven amazing things about that crash, in which Trejo ran a red light and smashed into a school bus with no kids in it:
7. Trejo blew a .176, more than twice the legal limit.
6. It was 2:15 in the afternoon.
5. He was on his way into work. That certainly was shaping up to be a helluva shift.
4. The bus driver he hit said, "He smelled drunk and he had beer and wine opened in his car."
3. Witnesses said cops covered the bottles with a towel and threatened anyone trying to take pictures.
2. Manzo offered this quote for the ages, which we're sure he would have given for any non-HPD driver found with beer on his breath after running into a school bus:
"There is indeed some alcohol in the vehicle, but I want to make perfectly clear that it is not illegal to have sealed, closed containers of alcohol in a vehicle -- what is a violation of the law is if they are open," said Robert Manzo, with HPD.
1. Manzo also told reporters at the scene that blood tests would exonerate Trejo.
Not HPD's proudest day, to be sure.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.