7 HPD Officers Disciplined Over DWI Cop Case
Senties confirmed a Houston Chronicle report that the following actions were taken:
Assistant Chief Dan Perales and Sgt. Paul Ogden were given written reprimands; supervisors Capt. Robert Manzo and Lt. Andrew King were suspended one day without pay, and thee other officers were ordered to counseling over their actions.
The officer who began it all, Sgt. Ruben Trejo, was fired last week for the April 13 crash.
Seven amazing things about that crash, in which Trejo ran a red light and smashed into a school bus with no kids in it:
7. Trejo blew a .176, more than twice the legal limit.
6. It was 2:15 in the afternoon.
5. He was on his way into work. That certainly was shaping up to be a helluva shift.
4. The bus driver he hit said, "He smelled drunk and he had beer and wine opened in his car."
3. Witnesses said cops covered the bottles with a towel and threatened anyone trying to take pictures.
2. Manzo offered this quote for the ages, which we're sure he would have given for any non-HPD driver found with beer on his breath after running into a school bus:
"There is indeed some alcohol in the vehicle, but I want to make perfectly clear that it is not illegal to have sealed, closed containers of alcohol in a vehicle -- what is a violation of the law is if they are open," said Robert Manzo, with HPD.
1. Manzo also told reporters at the scene that blood tests would exonerate Trejo.
Not HPD's proudest day, to be sure.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Top 10 Super Bowl One-Hit Wonders (w/ VIDEO)
Sun., Feb. 7, 7:00pm
Wed., Feb. 10, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 2:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 7:00pm
- Sheriff Hickman Shoots the Messenger, Pushes Back on Chron Jail Series
- Super Bowl 50: Five Best Prop Bets And Prediction