85 MPH on Texas Highways: Why the Hell Not? (Five Houston-Area Spots That Should Be Considered)
The Dallas Morning News (behind a paywall but AP report is here) noted a small clause in a transportation bill passed by the House in Austin this week -- if approved by the Senate, it allows speed limits to be raised on some Texas highways to 85 mph, the highest in the country.
And we say why the hell not?
Sure, there are stretches of interstate in West Texas where going 85 mph feels more like 30 mph because things are so vast and empty and the road is straight and goes on forever.
But we think some Houston locations should also qualify.
1. Allen Parkway Curves, hills (or what Houston calls hills) -- it's a car commercial come to life. And slamming on the brakes for that idiotically designed merge to 45 South will provide an entertaining challenge. As mega-lawyer John O'Quinn learned, of course, caution should be taken on the parkway when it's raining.
2. Highway 225 through Pasadena No one should be forced to breathe the air along Refinery Row any longer than possible.
3. The exit ramp downtown to Pierce from 45 Since cops love to camp out there with radar guns unseen just below the hump of the road, make them earn their pay.
4. 290 at rush hour Look, no one's moving anyway. Make the speed limit 1025 mph for all it would matter.
5. U.S. 59 through the Piney Woods You get much beyond Kingwood, and you never know when you're going to be contributing to the new flashy rec room at some podunk town's police headquarters.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Texas Suing VW is Such Adorable Hypocrisy
Sat., Oct. 24, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 24, 11:00am
Sun., Oct. 25, 12:00am
Mon., Oct. 26, 12:00am
- The Steve Sarkisian Firing: A Lesson In (Poor) Leadership
- Going Under: What Can Happen If Your Anesthesiologist Leaves the Room During an Operation