Aaron Hernandez Indicted for 2012 Double Homicide in Boston
Aaron Hernandez gets more bodies added to his murder resume.
Screengrab from Facebook.com/AaronHernandez81
Pretty soon, they're going to need a ticker in Times Square to keep track of the Aaron Hernandez-related body count.
The murder of Odin Lloyd last summer, for which Hernandez was subsequently and swiftly indicted, opened the door to a bloody Pandora's box that has shown no signs of slowing down. On the heels of that indictment, numerous inner-circle Hernandez associates met their demise, each in a more bizarre fashion than the next.
And now, the body count is piling up retroactive to 2012, as this morning Aaron Hernandez was finally indicted on a double homicide that has been open since the summer of 2012.
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. St. Thomas University Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Dec. 21, 7:00pm
Advocare V100 Texas Bowl
TicketsWed., Dec. 28, 8:00pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee State Univ Blue Raiders Mens Basketball
TicketsThu., Jan. 5, 7:00pm
PRCA XTreme Bulls
TicketsFri., Jan. 6, 7:30pm
The victims of the July 2012 killings were named Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. Both were shot to death as they sat in a car in Boston's South End on July 16, 2012. Reportedly, they were murdered by someone who drove up alongside them in an SUV with Rhode Island license plates and opened fire.
Hernandez was connected to the incident, at first, via surveillance footage video showing the former New England Patriot in the same nightclub as the victims the night of the attack, according to authorities.
In an affidavit filed last year, Boston police wrote that they had probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving a vehicle used in the 2012 double shooting and that he "may have been the shooter." The SUV involved in the shooting was the target of a search by police, a search that eventually led to the discovery of the vehicle at Hernandez's uncle's home in Bristol, Connecticut.
Aquilino Freire survived the July 2012 attack, and told police an SUV pulled up next to them while they were parked. Freire claimed to have seen someone in the SUV's back seat laughing, according to the affidavit. From there, several gunshots were fired from the rear passenger seat of the SUV into the car, according to Freire. Two other people in the car ran away.
So if you're reconstructing your 2012 calendar, based on today's indictment, this is how it went for Aaron Hernandez:
July 16, 2012: Killed two people in cold blood
August 27, 2012: Inked a $40 million extension to remain a New England Patriot:
"I called [my family] and told them obviously what the contract was, and the basics about it," he said at the team's annual charity gala on Aug. 27, 2012. "They were all crying. I was crying right with them. This is probably one of the best days of my life. I'll remember this day forever. I just hope I keep going, doing the right things, making the right decisions so I can have a good life, and be there to live a good life with my family."
Sadly, if history is any indicator, the Hernandez body count is to be continued...
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.