ASK A MEXICAN
I'm a gay man in his mid-30s who has always loved Mexican men, and this question is not only from my experience, but also that of friends: Why is it that Mexican men are so flaky? They seem the top offending ethnicity in this. And by flaky, I mean not returning calls, giving out their number but never answering or returning voicemails, canceling for lame reasons after initially being very interested, etc. (I'd like to know what they do with all this free time from NOT going out on dates.). Just seems like it's their nature and/or cultura to only be interested in what's in front of them at the moment. What is your take on this?
Queer and Questioning
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. UCF Knights Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. Florida Atlantic University Owls Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 5, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulane University Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 12, 11:00am
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Louisville Cardinals College Football
TicketsThu., Nov. 17, 7:00pm
You and everyone else who writes in with their romantic conundrums involving Mexicans should always ask themselves before consulting the Mexican: Is it me? Ladies: When hombres wolf-whistle at you, can it possibly be because you're beautiful and not because Mexicans are inherently lecherous? Same with you, Queer: Maybe your flaky Mexican papi chulos just don't think you're their cup of horchata and are too kind to tell you in person. That said, Mexican men are the least flaky men on Earth. Think about it: Aztec prophecy claimed their descendants would reclaim ancestral lands in the southwest United States — and guess what?
It would help the Mexican cause if other Americans knew of any historic Mexican heroes. Anglos mostly only know about Santa Anna and Pancho Villa, who were both cluster fucks. César Chávez is one shining star — are there any others we should know about?
Super Duper Gringo
I know, I know: I shouldn't bother with this question, since it's so obvious a put-on and any answer is ultimately Sisyphean — even if I revealed that Chuy Christ himself was Mexican, Americans would still trash their swarthy amigos. But let's play, shall nosotros? Following is a partial list of heroic Mexicans whose accomplishments benefit every gabacho:
• Luis Miramontes was a co-creator of the birth control pill, which lets gabachos screw without shame or worrying about out-reproducing Mexicans.
• Mario Molina helped discover that chlorofluorocarbons were eating up the ozone layer like illegals do our social services.
• The Virgin of Guadalupe protectsall Catholics in her role as the Em-press of the Americas and con-vinces God to spare non-Papists from hell.
• Juventino Rosas wrote "Over the Waves," a waltz that provides much merriment whenever a cartoon needs to show people getting seasick.
• Salma Hayek's breasts.
• Rebecca Webb Carranza popularized the tortilla chip, ensuring the Super Bowl's survival.
• And last, but certainly not least, the millions of Mexican immigrants in los Estados Unidos who write the paychecks of Lou Dobbs and his pendejo pundit pals and make life much cheaper for the rest of us.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.