Because It's Friday: 10 Great Photos of Obama with Kids
Just checking it out....
The presidential campaigns are ramping up, even though the heavy action doesn't come until after the conventions and Labor Day.
But while we still have time, perhaps it's best to take one last look at White House activity that doesn't include attack ads, policy positions or focus-group polling.
Let's look at the president interacting with kids.
Fortunately for his fans, President Obama seems absolutely comfortable around children, something you couldn't say about, for instance, Richard Nixon (and you can just go ahead and substitute "human beings" for "children" in that previous sentence).
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. St. Thomas University Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Dec. 21, 7:00pm
Advocare V100 Texas Bowl
TicketsWed., Dec. 28, 8:00pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee State Univ Blue Raiders Mens Basketball
TicketsThu., Jan. 5, 7:00pm
PRCA XTreme Bulls
TicketsFri., Jan. 6, 7:30pm
And the administration is diligent about recording such moments. The White House Flickr page offers countless intriguing shots of life at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, including behind-the-scenes peeks that you can't find elsewhere.
One of the more famous Obama-kid shots is the one above and to the right, featuring a young guy who wasn't convinced the president's hair was just like his own.
But there are others -- like these ten, all courtesy of the White House.
10. He belongs to the blank generation Mohawk? Check. Plaid shirt? Check. Unimpressed snarl as he's held by the most powerful man in the free world? Double-check. The only thing detracting from the DIY punk attitude here is the neon-green pacifier strap by Obama's thumb, but maybe that's for raves.
9. I'm flllyying Puts us in mind of John Candy as Divine playing Peter Pan on SCTV, but that's a good thing. The kid seems to be enjoying himself, to be sure.
8. Sir, yes sir!! No, he isn't holding his nose. He's concentrating on giving the most important salute yet in his young life, and doing a great job at it.
6. And don't give me that half-assed autograph, either, old man She put in a lot of work on that coloring book and she's going to allow Obama the privilege of signing it. She's also got a wary eye out to make sure he stays inside the lines and doesn't mess things up. Adults -- you gotta watch `em every second.
5. You're doing peek-a-boo wrong Unless this is some new game called "Another Joe Biden Gaffe" or something like that.
3. Room to grow Pump up the volume, kid.
2. We'll just say it's healthy Attack that dessert like you mean it, soldier!!
1. "It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed" Is that some apple-cheeked Iowa lad, or is it a young be-capped Vladimir Lenin lecturing Obama on the downfall of capitalism? Anyone seen Bill Ayres lately?
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.