Big Tex: We Offer Our Six Replacements, Starting With Willie Nelson
As you've no doubt heard by now -- or, if you're a Texan, felt like a great disturbance in the force -- State Fair's Big Tex burned to its frame today.
The icon for generations of fairgoers was taken down by an electrical short, so at least we don't have terrorists to blame.
But it's simply too much to ask people to go to the Fair and not be greeted, if not by Tex then by some adequate fill-in.
Luckily, we're here to offer Plan B. And no, it's never "too soon" when it comes to Tex and the Fair.
Illustrations by Monica Fuentes
6. Willie Nelson Just don't look too closely at what he's using as a pointer. We're sure he'll be more careful with the fire aspect than some unthinking electrical short was.
5. Tony Romo All fumbled footballs can be kept by lucky fans as souvenirs. Unless they're run back for touchdowns by the opposition.
3. Billy Gibbons The left arm circles, "Sharp-Dressed Man"-style, to bring a little extra panache to the whole thing.
2. J.R. In lieu of a metrosexual sipping a weenie beer in the West End, J.R. will show visitors what Dallas is all about.
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. St. Thomas University Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Dec. 21, 7:00pm
Advocare V100 Texas Bowl
TicketsWed., Dec. 28, 8:00pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee State Univ Blue Raiders Mens Basketball
TicketsThu., Jan. 5, 7:00pm
PRCA XTreme Bulls
TicketsFri., Jan. 6, 7:30pm
1. Beyoncé We can't tell where she's pointing, but we don't care. A little bit of Houston for Big D.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.