Corpse Flower: Five Things To Do While Waiting For It To Bloom
Come on already, you diva
The Houston Museum of Natural Science has been furiously twittering about the ever-impending rare blooming of its corpse flower, a huge plant that becomes extremely smelly -- like dead-flesh smelly -- on the few occasions it opens up.
Trouble is, this rare blooming has been ever-impending since Friday. HMNS' Butterfly Center has been open 24/7 for visitors, but so far they've come away without the big prize.
It's like waiting for the world's smelliest baby to arrive. To while away the time, here are five things you can do to enhance your corpse-flower experience:
1. Go find a Dumpster full of the most rancid, old, fly-encrusted garbage you can. Stick you head in it. Close your eyes, and you can imagine you're smelling the corpse flower!!
2. Check out @corpzflowrlois on Twitter. Sample tweets:
-- had a nightmare that i was being held hostage and people were taking pics of me at 4am. oh wait.
-- i've overheard some ppl saying that i'm looking bigger (yes, i can hear u). thank god the Curves at Chelsea Market is nearby
-- shitshitshit just realized i was so hungover sunday that i forgot to take my pill. guess i'll be blooming this week after all
3. Make plans to see Little Shop of Horrors (for free!) across the street at the Miller Theater. Big plant, doesn't stink.
It's a plant-off, with Mark Ivy of TUTS' Little Shop of Horrors
Photo by Margaret Downing
4. Stare at paint drying. Try to get the smelliest paint available.
5. You could, like, check out the other stuff at the museum while you're there. Unless you're these at 4:30 a.m.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Top 10 Super Bowl One-Hit Wonders (w/ VIDEO)
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:30pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 8:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 1:00pm
- Sheriff Hickman Shoots the Messenger, Pushes Back on Chron Jail Series
- Super Bowl 50: Five Best Prop Bets And Prediction