Daylight Saving Time, Case Keenum & Lou Reed: How to Use That Extra Hour
Suggestion Number Five:
Photo by Aaron M. Sprecher
You've sprung ahead; now it's time to fall back.
Sunday brings the end of this year's Daylight Savings Time, meaning, we guess, that it's time to throw time-thriftiness to the winds and just go wild.
What should you do with that blessed extra hour? Five suggestions:
5. Accept the ending of the Case Keenum Era The Texans play the Colts Sunday, and it's a night game so the ending of it will be that much closer to the magical Extra Hour. Use that hour to stare blankly at your bedroom ceiling reassessing how you once believed UH's Case Keenum was the Texans' answer to their QB problems. (In other words, it's going to be ugly Sunday -- Matt Schaub ugly -- in our humble opinion. We hope we're wrong.)
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. St. Thomas University Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Dec. 21, 7:00pm
Advocare V100 Texas Bowl
TicketsWed., Dec. 28, 8:00pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee State Univ Blue Raiders Mens Basketball
TicketsThu., Jan. 5, 7:00pm
PRCA XTreme Bulls
TicketsFri., Jan. 6, 7:30pm
4. Write the Great American Tweet Novels? TL;DR. Twitter is where all the great American writing is happening these days, according to people who tweet a lot.
Speed counts for as much as writerly brilliance; it's no good coming up with 140 characters that move people to laughter, tears or re-tweeting if someone has posted it 9.43 seconds before you did.
So use the extra hour to prepare tweets for, say, the deaths of Nelson Mandela and/or Keith Richards; the season finale of How I Met Your Mother; encountering an aggressive panhandler; or opening a can of snark whoop-ass when the Astros make their annual season-ticket pitch.
You'll be the Twitter King. For a half-hour or so.
3. Do a Lou Reed mental exercise Of all the people who took to the web to express their strong, deep, oh-so-hip allegiance to the recently departed Lou Reed, what percentage of them had actually listened to Lou Reed on purpose at any point in the previous two years?
The wiki was strong that day, as people frantically hit "Lou Reed discography" to find the most obscure album to cite that wasn't Metal Machine Music.
2. Clear up your DVR backlog Fast-forward is a beautiful thing, and an hour should be enough to get you through a season of Storage Wars: Texas, stopping occasionally what it'd be like to be stuck in a room for a day with Mary. Not to mention the two obese dudes.
1. Sleep You deserve it. Try not to dream about Case Keenum.
Send your story tips to the author, Richard Connelly.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.