Derek Boogaard Died by Accidental Overdose of Alcohol and Oxycodone
Derek Boogaard, the former Houston Aero fan favorite who was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment May 13, died from having too much alcohol and oxycodone in his system, according the medical examiner's report released today.
The Minnesota Star Tribune reports that the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office declared the 28-year-old Boogaard's death to be due to "an accidental mixture of alcohol and oxycodone toxicity."
In the wake of his death, the New York Post (Boogaard's most recent NHL stop was with the Rangers) reported that he had been enrolled in the league's substance-abuse program.
The Minneapolis newspaper said, "The Star Tribune reported last Saturday that when Boogaard missed most of the Wild's training camp in 2009 and the first two weeks of the season under the guise of a concussion, he also entered Stage 1 of the Substance Abuse & Behavioral Health Program.
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. UCF Knights Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. Florida Atlantic University Owls Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 5, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulane University Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 12, 11:00am
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Louisville Cardinals College Football
TicketsThu., Nov. 17, 7:00pm
Oxycodone is a widely abused prescription painkiller.
We profiled the affable, friendly Boogaard -- who turned into a racous fighting machine on the ice -- back when he was with the Aeros.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.