Dynamo Stay Unbeaten Through 34 Games at BBVA Compass; 5 Things We Learned
Another BBVA game, another win.
Phot by Marco Torres
It was a busy slate of sports for H-Town this weekend, with almost every professional sports team representing the hometown the right way.
For the Dynamo, continuing their home unbeaten streak to a mere 34 games was their claim to fame. This victory, which tied the MLS home unbeaten streak record, came virtue of a 2-0 win over the San Jose Earthquakes.
Here are five things Hair Balls took from Saturday night's win at BBVA.
5. Barnes beginning to find his groove Last week, Dynamo forward Giles Barnes cashed in his first career MLS goal. Saturday night at BBVA Compass Stadium, he put the Dynamo up two goals to nil right before the half with a spectacular header.
The second-year forward gives credit to his peers, as he's learning how and when to make his runs onto goal.
"[Brad Davis and I] just locked eyes, we just looked at each other and he knew where I wanted it," Barnes said. "I just tried to get on the end of it; it was a great ball."
4. Bruin ends his own streak, in a good way While some streaks continued, others came to a crashing end. Bruin's scoreless drought in 2013 came to a halt with his goal in the 17th minute of the match.
Hall earns a paycheck by stopping whatever ball comes his way. He's considered the last line of defense -- until now. For the second straight game, the ball took a Dynamo bounce and ricocheted off the goal post.
It may not be much for your average goalie, but Hall knows with a pair of goal posts behind you, the sky's the limit.
2. League MVP no problem for Orange defense Chris Wondolowski is the reigning league MVP and has torn every MLS defense into shreds. The Dynamo are the only team to hold Wondo scoreless. So how do the Dynamo keep one of the game's most prolific forwards from scoring?
"Even when I was here, this was a very tough place to play," Wondolowski told Hair Balls after the match. "It's a great stadium, and they have great fans behind them."
1. What? The home unbeaten streak is at how many games? The team's unbeaten run seems to be the talk among fans, but it's not the topic of choice in the Dynamo locker room.
Always the constant professional, head coach Dominic Kinnear keeps his team focused on the game at hand. He doesn't feel the need to reminisce on previous winnings.
"In the end, it goes down in a statistical record book," Kinnear explained. "You don't get a T-shirt or a hat or a ring for it. You just feel a lot of satisfaction out of it. And to be honest, I don't think I've mentioned it to the guys once [the streak]."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Rational East Texas Man Urges Violence and Tells Cops to "Step the Hell Aside"...
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Texas Horse Racing Will Continue, At Least For Three More Months
- Court Calls Texas Churches Campaigning Against LGBT-Friendly Politicians "Paranoid"