Dynamo's New Unis: Ranking Their Six Outfits Through The Years
With the Houston Dynamo set to make their 2013 debut this Saturday night at BBVA Compass Stadium, there was one last item of official business to take care of -- unveiling their new 2013-2014 home and away kits.
Alongside their new television partners in Comcast SportsNet Houston, Dynamo players showed off their new threads at the House of Blues' Peacock Room downtown. Featured were the different combinations of shirts and shorts, as well as the training gear and goalie unis.
The team, in the spirit of their former jersey sponsor, Greenstar Recycling, elected to use jerseys made of 100 percent recycled polyester. They also chose to go with a "cleaner look" than in previous years.
But was it too clean?
Our panel of one here at the Hair Balls blog decided to go into the vault and rank the different rags the Dynamo have gone with since their arrival in 2006. Here's our list from worst to best.
6. 2009-2010 Kits By far the worst jersey the Dynamo ever used. The use of Space City Blue was atrocious, whether you're looking at the left sleeve or the blue lines that run on the right. The only highlight from that jersey was the sunburst that was embossed behind the Amigo Energy logo.
5. 2007-2008 Kits A pretty simple look for an American soccer jersey. Space City Blue was first introduced into the Dynamo's array of colors -- orange and white. The 2007 version had the scudetto on the left chest representing the Dynamo as the defending champions. The 2008 version had the first championship star above the crest, as well as the scudetto from their 2007 MLS Cup.
4. 2012 Alternate For the first time in team history, they released a third "alternate" jersey. Their use of the red-orange color was to pay homage to the Houston Hurricanes of the NASL in the late '70s. It's the first Dynamo jersey to feature pinstripes. 3. 2013-2014 Kits A couple of cool features on this kit -- besides its being made of recycled materials. The team added the "Forever Orange" slogan near the left collarbone. They also added a Texas state flag on the bottom, further proof for all the FC Dallas fans that the Lone Star State is Dynamo Country.
2. 2006 Inaugural It's kind of hard to vote against the one that started it all. Ever since the Dynamo trotted out these unis on April 2, 2006, in their 5-2 win over the Colorado Rapids, the Bayou City has had an orange crush.
1. 2011-2012 Kits Say what you want about this jersey, but it's the only jersey design the Dynamo have ever had that was truly unique, not template design like the new kits. With the addition of the collars, this kit was both retro and clean.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Prosecutors: Paxton's Hollow Outrage at "DEFCON 1"
Fri., Nov. 27, 7:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 2:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:00pm
Sun., Nov. 29, 12:00pm
- It's Either Triumph or Disappointment for UH and Rice This Weekend
- The "No Guns" Signs Are Back Up At The Houston Zoo