Tomorrow is the tenth anniversary of Enron's bankruptcy filing. How do you plan on celebrating?
You could run up huge charges on your credit card, act like you're rich and then keep making the minimum monthly payments with new credit cards until the whole scam falls apart. Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling would like that.
Or you could go on eBay and look for items related to the Astros' proudest days -- when they opened a new downtown stadium called Enron Field.
Here's 10 items to consider.
10 Seat cushion "I was there"!!!! My ass was on this very seat cushion!!!
A better choice might have been "I don't recall whether I was there," to match testimony from Enron execs about meetings where shady dealings were discussed.
Current bid: $12.98
9. Pennant Suitable for waving at perp walks.
Current bid: $49.99
8. Christmas ornament Because the glow of that season's 72-90 record lasted easily until December. Hey, Astro fans would have taken it this past year. Sold for: $15
7. Pin First game played in August? Against the Mets? Sounds like some more fuzzy bookkeeping.
Actually, there were pins made for each team that came into Enron Field that season. Collect 'em all!! Current bid: $7
6. Postcard Having a wonderful time. Wish you were here. Wish I wasn't in prison, or working at McDonald's because I lost my pension. Current bid: $1.95
5. Commemorative coin Is there any better investment than a commemorative coin? Outside of Enron stock, we mean. Starting bid: $25
4. Three rubber balls Hey, it almost looks like you could play a hide-the-pea shell game with these. Although how that would relate to Enron, we have no idea. Current bid: $6.99
3. Another pennant If you look closely, you can almost see the city's shame emanating from the place. Current bid: $49.99
2. Ball It's a "limited edition"!! It must be valuable!
We're not sure, but we think Lou Pai used to hand these out as gifts to strippers at all the gentlemen's clubs he used to visit. Current bid: $38.47
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. New-employee packet Information on parking, commuting discounts and how to get to Enron Field; the left-side pocket contains all the advice necessary on how best to use your Enron stock in your retirement years. Current bid: $17.99