Five Cities Where We'd Prefer a High-Speed Train Connection to Houston
A private investor group is trying to do a redux on an old plan to build a bullet train through Texas, connecting the Bayou City with Dallas. But of all the options for high-speed travel, is getting to Dallas in less than two hours really what we want?
We asked our Facebook pals what they thought of the idea, there was lots of love for a Houston to Dallas train (Cody Johnson wrote: "I'd go to Dallas to watch the Mavericks lose."), but most people (we got over 100 comments) liked other locations better. "Yeah who would ever want to go to Dallas? It's only like, the right direction you need to go if you want to go to Chicago," commented Ian Komouss.
Taking a look at the suggestions on the old FB, we put together this list of high-speed train stops we'd rather see.
1. Austin The reasons are clear. ATX rules, especially during this time of year. What with SXSW making the news cycle day after day. Sure, it's only a couple hours and some change away, but we'd like to get there super-fast and be well beveraged while we do it.
2. New Orleans We shouldn't even have to explain this one. If we could trim this five-plus hour drive down, we'd be there every weekend.
3. San Antonio Who doesn't want to connect with SA with a quick turnaround? It was one of the most mentioned by our Facebook fans.
4. Corpus Christi Family vacations with a stop here would be great.
5. El Paso Because you shouldn't have to drive over 10 hours to reach the other end of the state, and who doesn't want to get out there more quickly?
Still, our dream would be in line with what Shanna Marie Tucker writes, "How about we have a train system that goes between every major city in the our state? Dallas-Houston should just be the start."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.