Five Great Coaches Fights, in Honor of Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz
The silly ritual of the coaches' post-game handshake got taken to a new level Sunday when the odious Jim Harbaugh celebrated his 49ers victory a little too enthusiastically while shaking the hand of Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz.
Schwartz took after him, entertainingly.
It didn't escalate to fisticuffs, but that doesn't mean coaches haven't squared off before. Here are five of the best:
5. Lindy Ruff & Brian Murray, NHL We are shocked to find an NHL clip. This came after a brawl between the Buffalo Sabres and the Ottawa Senators, and the two coaches apparently decided a frank exchange of views was needed as to which team was at fault. Bonus: F-bomb clearly dropped Double Bonus: The rinkside reporter standing right between them, staying as stiff and motionless as a Buckingham Palace guard.
4. NBA Development League Eric Musselman and Kevin Young have words. One gets knocked to the ground by his player who is attempting to be a peacemaker.
3. Herb Brooks and Jacques Demers Miracle on Ice 's Herb Brooks takes on Jacques Demers. Monsieur Demers is now a Conservative Party Senator in Canada's Parliament.
2. Pearland represent! A Pee-Wee football game brings out the role model -- in the kid who tried to talk sense to his coach.
1. Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride Oiler fans can't forget this one -- the two coordinators putting the dis in dysfunction. And those run-and-shoot Oilers never won a Super Bowl? Can't imagine why.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.