Five World Cup Players Fans Hate
Soccer is called the Beautiful Game. And it can be beautiful. But it's also a game full of whiners and actors and cheaters.
With the 2014 World Cup starting tomorrow, we decided to take a look at five players participating on soccer's biggest stage, but who fans hate.5. Sergio Busquets (Spain)
In soccer and basketball, flopping is a part of the game. Play up a foul a little, get your opponent in trouble, gain an advantage. That's just being a good competitor. When you do it too much though, or are just too blatant about it, fans can get a little upset. Busquets is example A1. Check out the peekaboo maneuver he does in this video.
4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world, and he knows it. The Portuguese forward plays with flair and embraces his fame, doing stuff like posing for magazines in nothing but his underwear. Some fans don't like it, and would rather root for the equally great Lionel Messi, who comes without all the glitter and glam.
3. Mario Balotelli (Italy) Balotelli is just kind of careless and stupid. He has set off fireworks inside before, and thrown darts out of a window.
He's also done this.
He's supremely talented, and some of the hate that comes upon him is unfair. He's been on the receiving end of well documented racism of neo-facist super fan, or ultras.
2. Pepe (Portugal) This video of Pepe, with its medal music and clips of dirty antics, pretty much sums him up.1. Luis Suarez (Uruguay)
When he's not suiting up for the Uruguayan national team, Suarez is playing for Liverpool. He's a great player - he's revered in Uruguay, as this ESPN profile proves - but he plays like a maniac. He's bitten an opponent on two different occasions. (Two! Biting! Two!) And according to the above video, those bites aren't his top two most controversial moments.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Astros Take Royals, Announcers by Surprise with Game One Win
Mon., Oct. 19, 7:00pm
Wed., Oct. 21, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 24, 11:00am
- Why Are Neighbors Angry That the Glenbrook Golf Course is Becoming a Botanical Garden?
- Cougars Destroy SMU, Storm Out To 5-0 Record