For Flag Day: The 10 Worst National Flags
We don't just hate certain American state flags here; we also hate the following ten foreign abominations of design, symmetry and good taste. It is less our opinion than it is scientific fact that these are, without a doubt, the ten worst national flags in the world.
9. Bosnia and Herzegovina Like St Lucia, the Bosnian flag looks less like a national symbol than it does a corporate logo. It also looks like something I would have doodled in sixth grade math class, and I suck at art big-time.
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. UCF Knights Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. Florida Atlantic University Owls Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 5, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulane University Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 12, 11:00am
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Louisville Cardinals College Football
TicketsThu., Nov. 17, 7:00pm
7. Libya We're hoping that when and if this uprising ever ends with a rebel victory, the new rulers of Muammar's freaky petro-desert will see fit to replace this ridiculously uncreative green rag with something, anything else.
6. Belize Why are those hunky cricket players not wearing shirts, and why is one of them carrying an ax? Or are they a couple of Village People awaiting the arrival of the rest of their uniforms?
4. Mozambique With a fixed-bayonet AK and a book of the names of those whose asses will be capped in the emblem, Mozambique easily snatches the title as the owner of the world's most gangsta flag.
3. Nepal It would look cool dangling off the end of a lance at a joust, but it looks kind of ridiculous and vandalized on a flagpole.
2. Turkmenistan Let's say you are describing the effects of LSD to a talented artist who happens to be ten years old, and that kid is attempting to draw what you are telling him: "Yeah, and there were these multi-colored patterns, like swirling around, and scrolling past vertically, and I could see the moon and stars through the trees..." That kid would totally draw this flag.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.