For Mother's Day: Five Very, Very Bad Candidates for Mom of the Year
For at least some part of our lives, all of us have had a mother. Some are great, some are terrible, but most are in-between. But even if your mother was closer to Courtney Love than to Clair Huxtable, you should count yourself lucky you are not the offspring of any of the women in this round-up of the five worst moms of the past 12 months.
5. Lufkin's Donna Gene Hack was popped last August outside the Lufkin Walmart, where police claim to have caught her swiping two men's Ultimate Fighting T-shirts, hand lotion and curtain-rod hooks, and two canisters of "Dust-Off" spray, a product familiar to devotees of the show Intervention. Hack then attempted to make her getaway in her car, with her child inside, while she was reportedly drunk.
4. Houston's Lashwanda Allen was accused last August of sleeping off a Four Loko bender while her not-yet-two-year-old daughter not only helped herself to some of that devil's brew, but then toddled off drunk into the parking lot of their apartment complex. Meanwhile, Allen's other daughter, an infant, was found in the nick of time, tangled up in the sheets and turning blue.
3. Amanda Nabers of San Antonio allegedly showed a similar knack for abandoning and endangering her kids, not to mention the same taste in stimulants. Alamo City cops says she was in a fog of Xanax, weed and Four Loko when she left her two kids to fend for themselves while she went off to sex up a 13-year-old neighbor boy.
2. Micah Ashley Alford of League City reportedly valued motherhood so much, she was back on the pole at the Gulf Freeway Ritz Cabaret five days after giving birth to her fourth kid, which she had given to a couple of friends to look after. Her previous three children had already been removed from her care by CPS by that point, and while pregnant with the most recent child, she also failed a drug test.
1. Amanda Gail Walker was not content to (allegedly) get into a vicious hair-pulling catfight with her cousin in earshot of her kids at the sleazy Longview motel where they were living, nor to resist arrest when the cops came to take her away. Nope, she had to also leave her meth lying around where the kids could both get at it and even taste it, according to reports.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.