George Zimmer Will No Longer Head Men's Wearhouse; Five Ads to Mourn the End of an Era
Houston's own Men's Wearhouse has announced that after almost 40 years in charge -- and almost that long bedeviling TV viewers -- George Zimmer is stepping down as CEO.
Zimmer started the company in Houston in 1973, and now blankets America with his "You're going to like the way you look; I guarantee it." He'll still have a role in the company, and will no doubt continue to appear in ads, but it's the end of an era.
A trip down Men's Wearhouse memory lane:
5. From the classic era Lovely wood paneling throughout the store, dude.
Men's Wearhouse by weatherguru76
4. Here the hair is starting to look a little, how you say, "wiggy"? But it doesn't affect the guarantee.
3. The stern voice of bargain-suit justice A righteous Zimmer takes on Macy's and leaves them whimpering in the sand.
There are lots of parodies of the ads up on the web. Here's one of the better ones: Outtakes that show just how hard it is to get something workable from Zimmer.
1. The knockoff How the ads would look in Bizarro World: A history lesson, prices in bold yellow, and a slow-motion welcome to the store.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- How Ken Paxton Became the New Supervillain of Texas Politics
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Texas A&M Finds Radioactive Thingy it Lost The Other Week
- Does Houston Have the Right to Enforce Clean Air Laws? The Texas Supreme Court Will Decide