"Gulf of America"? Don't Stop There! Five More Equally Sane Name Changes Needed
A Mississippi lawmaker has completely and utterly disgraced Texas politicians by being the first to introduce legislation to change the name of the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America.
And not because, as Stephen Colbert once put it when he made the same suggestion, "we broke it, we bought it."
No, Rep. Steve Holland wants it changed because it just should be changed, dammit.
We couldn't agree more, but we don't think Holland -- who would change his name to Holland-America if there wasn't already a shipping company by that name -- doesn't go far enough.
Rice Owls Football vs. Southern Miss
TicketsSat., Nov. 11, 2:30pm
Houston Texans vs. Arizona Cardinals
TicketsSun., Nov. 19, 12:00pm
Rice Owls Football vs. North Texas
TicketsSat., Nov. 25, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers
TicketsSun., Dec. 10, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
TicketsMon., Dec. 25, 3:30pm
More name changes needed:
5. St. Tony: The Alamo City will not only lose its unpleasant Mexican-ness, it will find itself more hospitable to the Jersey Shore crowd, thus boosting tourism and tanning-parlor revenues.
4. Tex-Tex food: Also known as barbecue, but now the name will apply to burritos and enchiladas, which will also eventually get renamed, we can only pray.
3. America City: Come on, Mexico, get on board with this movement and rename your capital.
2. Arms River: The Brazos River, originally "Brazos de Dios" for "Arms of God" is, while commendably religious, obviously far too Mexican. So from now on it's the Arms River, and it flows through Arm-ia County, not Brazoria.
1. New America: Wait, there's a state called "New Mexico"? Is Rep. Steve Holland-America even aware of this? Fix this now.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.