Apparently, Jesus is a back-seat driver. CNN.com reportedyesterday
that the Vatican issued a list of Ten Commandments for drivers in a document titled “Guidelines for the Pastoral Care of the Road.”
1. You shall not kill.
2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.
3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.
4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.
5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.
6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.
7. Support the families of accident victims.
8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
10. Feel responsible toward others.
The story also reported that the Vatican urged people to “obey traffic regulations, drive with a moral sense, and to pray when behind the wheel.” Yeah, we think we’ve seen that bumper sticker on I-45: “Keep honking, I’m praying for you.”
Houston drivers fall under the group of people who would benefit most from this list. However, we think a few rules were overlooked. How about “Thou shalt not speed up at the sight of a turn signal” or “Thou shall yield to orange cones – no matter how many there are in a one-mile stretch of the freeway”?
Feel free to share your own ideas with us. – Dusti Rhodes
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Prosecutors: Paxton's Hollow Outrage at "DEFCON 1"
Fri., Nov. 27, 7:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 2:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:00pm
Sun., Nov. 29, 12:00pm
- It's Either Triumph or Disappointment for UH and Rice This Weekend
- The "No Guns" Signs Are Back Up At The Houston Zoo