Houston Circa 2001, Courtesy Of Google
In honor of its 10th birthday, Google has made available itsJanuary 2001 index
, the oldest available.
Let’s see what the Mighty Google can tell us about the H-Town and world of 2K1. (Many of the links are now dead, but if you click “View old version on the Internet archive"? you’ll have better luck.)
1. Enron is hiring! Three weeks of vacation and stock options! Where do I sign up?
2. Speaking of Enron, Jeff Skilling is gonna be a masterful CEO. The New York Times expects that Enron’s revenues will double in 2001. Ken Lay says the company “is doing extremely well right now.*?
3. Yao Ming leads the Sharks past the Rockets.
4. At 6-5, 188 pounds, Madison’s Vincent Young may be skinny, but he looks like a keeper. Shoot, he's even got an honorable mention in Texas Football magazine for almost being "our Wolf Brand Chili Player of the Week."
5. “I THINK PAUL WALL CAN FLOW FOR A WHITE BOY HE GOSE OFF HE BE KEEPIN IT CRUNK FOR THAT NAWF SIDE YOU KNOW IT"
6. Shouldn’t this game have told Charley Casserly and the Texans “braintrust" all they needed to know about David Carr? Four interceptions and a benching against one of the only quality opponents Fresno State played?
7. Get ‘em while they’re hot: subprime mortgages for everyone!
8. Meet the iPod, a cool, high-tech “immersive entertainment device."
9. The expansion of the Katy Freeway will be finished by 2006.
10. Have no fear, people of New Orleans:
The implementation of these hurricane and flood protection projects embodies the Orleans Levee Board's commitment to assure the protection of the people and property of the City of New Orleans. Entrusted to protect Louisiana's highest concentration of major commercial infrastructure and one of America's most significant historical assets, the Vieux Carre, the Orleans Levee Board is determined to fight hurricanes from taking New Orleans by storm.
-- John Nova Lomax
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Texans-Saints: Four Things To Watch For
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
- 5 New Laws That Go Into Effect Next Week
- Finally — Documented Proof of the Homosexual Agenda!