MORE

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

Wayside at Clinton Drive. One of many entrances into the East End. 
Wayside at Clinton Drive. One of many entrances into the East End. 
All photos by Abrahán Garza

For our seventh installment of the HoustoricProject, we bring you the East End. The East End covers a vast area that starts at the eastern edge of downtown and runs to the Port of Houston and south to Hobby Airport. The Eastwood Subdivision, one of Houston's first master-planned communities, turned 100 this year in September. To celebrate, independent curator Diane Barber organized the East End Then & Now photo exhibit that coincided with the Eastwood Civic Association Home Tour. It featured photos of the area from historic city archives mashed with the current locations.

Here are some of the results:

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

1. Children outside the Church of the Redeemer, Episcopal. 4411 Dallas Street Taken from the corner of Eastwood Street and Telephone Road. No telling when the apartment building in the background lost its awnings.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

2. La Reynera Panaderia-Bakery 4120 McKinney Originally opened in 1945 as Albritton's Eats, La Reynera Panaderia-Bakery is still serving the East End in the original art-deco structure.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

3. Eastwood Theater. 4537 Leeland Street. Opened in March 1936, featured four screens and had 1,057 seats. The Eastwood Theater was modeled after the Tower Theater (now El Real Tex-Mex Cafe on Westheimer).

Continues on next page.

 

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

4. Rufus Cage Elementary School. 1400 Telephone Road. Originally built in 1910, the two-story building housed four classrooms and served students on the city's east side until 1983. The building has been designated a "protected historic landmark" by the City of Houston.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

5. Jackson Middle School. 5100 Polk Street Home of the Jackson Leopards, the main part of the building was built in 1925. Polk Street may have still been called Davis Street when this photo was taken.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

6. Austin High School. 1700 Dumble Street Built in 1936, the home of the Austin Mustangs was named after Stephen F. Austin and was ranked as one of the 7 Best-Looking High Schools in Houston in 2012.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

7. Dumble Street tracks at Eastwood Park In 1916, the City of Houston acquired a 10.8-acre site on Harrisburg Boulevard and established Eastwood Park. You can follow the Galveston, Houston and Henderson (G,H&H) railroad tracks all the way to Galveston.

Continues on next page.

 

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

8. A scene from the 6600 Block of Harrisburg You can see the Boulevard Theatre on the left and rail tracks for the Harrisburg line of the Houston Electric Company trolley. Houston was way ahead of its time. Harrisburg Boulevard is currently under construction for Metro's ever-expanding new light rail.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

9. Southern Brass Manufacturing & Plating Co. It is currently a Pegasso Tours International Bus Station and has served as many different bus stations for several decades.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

10. Navaway Theater. 6714 Navigation Boulevard Seen here before its grand opening in 1939, the Navaway Theatre was located on Navigation between 67th Street and Wayside Drive. It had one screen and seated 650 people. The original paved sidewalk can still be seen today.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

11. Hidalgo Park Quiosco. Magnolia Park, 7000 Avenue Q Dedicated on September 14, 1934, the gazebo was commissioned under the leadership of Dr. A.G. Gonzales and designed by Houston resident Vidal Lozano.

Continues on next page.

 

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

12. The Sociedad Mutualista Benito Juarez Hall. 7320 Navigation Boulevard The Sociedad Mutualista Benito Juarez Hall was the first purpose non-religious public institution built in Houston's East End by and for Mexican-Americans. Constructed in 1928, it was often referred to as El Salon Juarez and later The Magnolia Hall. It was demolished in 2009.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

13. La Moderna Store. Avenue I and 76th Street The building was a religious bookstore for as long as can be remembered. Currently closed, but last was home to Libreria Kaliman.

Houstoric Project, Volume 7: The East End

14. Immaculate Heart of Mary Church. 7539 Avenue K Founded in 1923. The original building is still serving the Magnolia area today.

You can see more from the HoustoricProject at the Houston Visitors Center at City Hall from January 6 to January 31, 2014.

Previous Houstoric Project posts: Houstoric Project, Volume 1 Houstoric Project, Volume 2 Houstoric Project, Volume 3: Cleaners, Carpets and Chevys Houstoric Project, Volume 4 Houstoric Project, Volume 5: Baytown Edition Houstoric Project, Volume 6: Astrodome Edition

Follow Houston Press on Facebook and on Twitter @HairBallsNews or @HoustonPress.


Sponsor Content