Hunger Games, World's Worst Bob Costas, 300 Dead Pigeons: Photos From Terrible Olympic Events
The 2012 Olympics are barreling to a close, with just a few days before the most over-the-top ceremony since the opener a few months back (or so it seems, in terms of how long ago it was).
There have been many highlights, from Michael Phelps winning gold medal after gold medal to a badminton scandal (REALLY?!?) to the brave decision by some beach volleyballers to get up and stand up for their right to all but bare their butts.
But still, these London games can't live up to the past. Because, as a search of the photo archives shows, they had some really weird Olympics back in the day.
Check out these bits of history:
8. Katniss Calling If Katniss Everdeen covered up every square inch of flesh with a burka-like tent, would she have the same appeal? Jennifer Lawrence never wants to find out.
7. Rope Climbing Rope climbing was a very, very tough ticket back in the day, but the crowd apparently liked to arrive late and leave early, like Dodger fans. And by "arrive late and leave early," we mean "not show up while any damn Rope Climbing is going on."
Houston Texans vs. Cleveland Browns
TicketsSun., Oct. 15, 12:00pm
TicketsSat., Oct. 21, 7:00pm
Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts
TicketsSun., Nov. 5, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. Arizona Cardinals
TicketsSun., Nov. 19, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers
TicketsSun., Dec. 10, 12:00pm
6. Synchronized Arm-Crossing This competition got its start from the Victorian-era adage that encouraged young brides on their wedding night to "lie back and think of England."
5. Bob Costas, The Early Years "I SAID, 'MICHAEL PHELPS HAD TO OVERCOME A LOT OF ADVERSITY....'"
4. Department of Bad Ideas "Yeah, yeah, another swimming event -- yawn. What're we gonna do to spice this up? Let's think, people!"
"Ummmm -- Put in obstacles?"
Give that man a raise!!
3. Clean-Up On Aisle Three Just in case the maiming and bloodshed inherent in underwater obstacle courses isn't enticing enough, early promoters got gory with -- wait for it -- live pigeon shooting. Of course, the pigeons weren't "live" for long. At least 300 of them went on to meet their cackling maker in order to further the Olympic spirit.
2. Tug-of-War When they talked about "going for the gold" here, they meant the post-picnic Schlitz or Blatz.
1. No Bears Need Apply The 1924 Olympics or the 1924 White Party? You, and Lady Gaga, should decide on your own.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.