If the U.S. Defaults: 5 Alternatives to Government Checks
We still don't know whether a deal will make it through Congress or whether instead the Tea Party will drive the nation off the economic cliff.
If the U.S. defaults and all of a sudden can't write checks, things could get....interesting. Fortunately, there are back-up plams.
5. Social Security checks In lieu of obviously communistic and socialistic Social Security checks, seniors will get free Luby's coupons. President Obama will deliver an Oval Office speech urging everyone to take advantage of the early bird specials.
3. Student loans and grants It'll be the exciting world of learning at home for kids whose parents can't afford college. For example, this fine video: Trail to Riches: The California Gold Rush and Settlement of the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately, it's a VHS, so look deep in your closets and attics, kids! Also provided for this course: a copy of Oregon Trail.
1. Contractors providing services to the government This IOU for one free hug comes with the full faith and credit of the U.S. government, for whatever that will be worth.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Cougars Easily Dismantle Navy, Win 52-31
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:30pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 3:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 7:00pm
Sat., Dec. 12, 2:00pm
- Legendary UH Coach Guy V. Lewis Dies at Age 93
- Saints-Texans — Four Things to Watch For