It's 09-09-09. This Is A Big Deal To Some People, Somehow
Everyone's making such a big deal out of today: It's September 9, which means it's 9/9/09.
It is, according to one site, "the last set of repeating, single-digit dates that we'll see for almost a century (until January 1, 2101), or a millennium (mark your calendars for January 1, 3001), depending on how you want to count it."
That seems a little bit of a stretch to us when it comes to statistics, kind of like "most hits on the road against lefties with runners in scoring position on even-numbered days."
Come on -- we're having 10/10/10 next year, 11/11/11 and 12/12/12 after that, what's the big deal with 9/9/09? Wasn't January 23, 1945 cooler, as these things go?
Rice Owls Football vs. Southern Miss
TicketsSat., Nov. 11, 2:30pm
Houston Texans vs. Arizona Cardinals
TicketsSun., Nov. 19, 12:00pm
Rice Owls Football vs. North Texas
TicketsSat., Nov. 25, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers
TicketsSun., Dec. 10, 12:00pm
Houston Texans vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
TicketsMon., Dec. 25, 3:30pm
But we give up -- apparently it is a big deal. Journalists have dug up obscure references to prove it, so it must be true.
How best to celebrate this momentous day?
We'll give you -- ha ha!! -- nine ways to do it.
1. Play "Revolution Number 9" nine times. What, you got a better way to send an hour or so?
Has there ever been a song better designed for the "skip" button? What did Beatle fans do back in the day of LPs -- actually sit and listen to this thing? After you finish with this, put on Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and really jam.
2. Play "99 Red Luftballoons" once. That's all it will take to get the song to stay in your head for 99 times. (By the way, we don't care what the so-called "real" titles to either of these songs are. It's what we call them.)
3. Spend the day wondering what the hell Daniel Day-Lewis was thinking when he agreed to star in Nine. Things we have to assume Day-Lewis didn't know: It's a musical, for crissake.
4. Begin your own Satanic cult, but use 999 instead of 666 as your Mark of the Beast. And hey, who's to say you're wrong? Some guy sees 666 on the Beast, whips out some papyrus and adds it to the Bible. Who's to say he wasn't looking at an upside-down 999?
5. Play "99 Tears" by ? and the Mysterians. This is the lesser-known sequel to "96 Tears." Somewhat hard to find, even on the internet.
6. Ponder this question. We sorta agree with the first answer.
7. Watch someone make the "inofficial Teris World Record" score of 99,999,999. We're guessing is close to the "unofficial" world record too.
8. Enjoy Jay-Z singing Oasis' "Wonderwall."
Why? Because after he was announced as an act at the Glastonbury Fesitval, one of the Oasis brothers dissed him. This was his response. It includes his analysis that he has 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one.
9. Get started on your 10/10/10 listicle. It'll be a lot easier than the 9/9/09 one, to be sure.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.