It's A Good Time To Be Apartment-Hunting In Houston
It's a great time to be looking for an apartment in Houston, assuming you have the money to do so.
O'Connor & Associates reports that vacancies are up and rents are down across Houston. November "marked the fourteenth consecutive for declining occupancy, while rents on both a per unit and per square foot basis fell over the previous period," the company said today. "During the fourteen-month slide, occupancy has declined approximately 3.5 percent, a trend that is sure to continue given the elevated under construction supply remaining."
The drop in rent was a little more surprising; the firm says it is unlikely to be a trend.
Apartments are giving out specials these days to attract renters, but the offers tend to be a month of free rent or no-deposit-necessary.
What ever happened to the glory days of apartment specials? When the enticing Gulfton Ghetto encouraged you to come with TV ads like this?
Battle of the Piney Woods: SFA vs. SHSU
TicketsSat., Oct. 1, 3:00pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. UTSA Roadrunners Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 6:00pm
Rice University Owls Football vs. Prairie View A&M University Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 22, 2:30pm
1. Sucky music? Yes! Within seconds, the ear is assaulted. Which is worse -- the Alvin & the Chipmunks-type singers, or the stinging guitar note after the first "Colonial House!!!" You decide.
2. Bizarre fashions? Only if you have "taste." Pause it as rugby-shirt boy ineptly attempts a break. Is the woman next to him wearing a headband? Yes. Yes, she is. You might think it's awful, but it does fit with the whole Wonder Woman vibe of her dress.
3. Oddly stilted activites? Check. A pool volleyball game featuring a brunette with the world's poufiest (and perfectly dry) hair, a woman in high heels and cargo shorts getting a hot dog, a random make-out session and the Man Who Taught Elaine Benes How to Dance: It's cinema verite at its best. Especially the most depressing bumper-pool game ever.
4. Brutal lyrics? Oh yeah. "Colonial House. Colonial House. Let us show your future; if you're looking for great changes: Now's the perfect time!!" No rhymes need apply.
5. Free VHS offered? Yes! Of course, it's soaking wet, so you'll have to sign a release absolving the owners of any responsibility for frying you. But, seeing as you're living in Gulfton (or, as the owner puts it, "beautiful southwest Houston"), there's a good chance it'll be stolen soon anyway.
So take heed if you're out there apartment-hunting: Demand a bumper-pool table in the clubhouse, shitty dancing and a wet VCR. Otherwise you're just getting ripped off.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.