January 2: The 5 Least Earthshaking Historical Events This Day, Despite What Wiki Says
Today, January 2 is being celebrated as if it was January 1.
But that's no reason to honor this day, which has seen so many historical events.
On the other hand, it seems to us that Wiki had to reach just a little to come up with supposedly earthshaking events that took place on This Day In History.
Like these five:
5. 533 - Mercurius becomes Pope John II, the first pope to adopt a new name upon elevation to the papacy And he died less than three years later.
4. 1818 - The British Institution of Civil Engineers is founded
Groups calling themselves civil engineers had been meeting for some years from the late 18th century, notably the Society of Civil Engineers formed in 1771 by John Smeaton (renamed the Smeatonian Society after his death). At that time, formal engineering in Britain was limited to the military engineers of the Corps of Royal Engineers, and in the spirit of self help prevalent at the time and to provide a focus for the fledgling 'civilian engineers', the Institution of Civil Engineers was founded as the world's first professional engineering body.
3. 1871 - Amadeus I becomes King of Spain "He founded the Aosta branch of Italy's royal House of Savoy, which is junior in agnatic descent to the branch descended from King Umberto I that reigned until 1946, but senior to the branch of the Dukes of Genoa."
He also abdicated in favor of a republic that lasted one year.
2. 1945 - World War II: Nuremberg, Germany (in German, Nürnberg) is severely bombed by Allied forces Unlike any other German city during WWII....
1. 2001 - Sila María Calderón becomes the first female Governor of Puerto Rico Because in the year 2001, female governors!! How unusual!
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- This Houston Rockets Thing Is Going Nowhere
Sat., Dec. 5, 11:00am
Sat., Dec. 5, 7:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 7:00pm
Sat., Dec. 12, 2:00pm
- Rice University President: Nobody Here Wants Campus-Carry
- There's No New Contract Yet, but UH's Tom Herman Says He's Sticking Around