Just How Houston Are You? Sports Edition
There was one of those stupid Twitter hashtags things about Houston this week, this one showing just how much of a Houstonian a person really is. I'm tired of writing about the depressing antics of the Houston Astros and CSN Houston, and I had to miss this week's CUSA Football Media Day in Dallas because of work issues. And frankly, I'm much too lazy to come up with something original to write about. So, with a sports theme, here's my version of #ImSoHouston...
1. ...that I remember when the Houston Rockets couldn't even sell out Hofheinz Pavilion.
2. ...that I remember Nolan Ryan pitching for the New York Mets.
3. ...that I remember what it was like to be awed by the best scoreboard spectacle in all sports.
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 10AM-3PM
TicketsWed., Mar. 29, 10:00am
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 3PM-8PM
TicketsWed., Mar. 29, 3:00pm
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 10AM-6PM
TicketsSun., Apr. 2, 10:00am
Rice Owls Men's Baseball vs. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Men's Baseball
TicketsFri., Apr. 7, 6:30pm
4. ...that when I was a kid, the Houston Cougars played football in a major college football conference and went to major bowl games on a yearly basis.
5. ...that I recall Tal Smith when he was the beloved, recently deposed general manager of a playoff baseball team and not the guy who helped to destroy a winning franchise.
6. ...that I actually attended Houston Astros baseball games in the Astrodome during the 1970s.
7. ...that I actually saw Gordie Howe wearing a Houston Aeros sweater skating on the ice inside the Sam Houston Coliseum.
8. ...that I was one of the few people to attend Houston Hurricane NASL soccer games in the Astrodome in the late 1970s.
9. ...that I remember when the Houston Cougars basketball squad was a nationally respected power playing in a major conference.
10. ...that I still think of the Houston Texans as a failed WFL franchise that folded and moved to Shreveport.
11. ...that I'll fight anybody claiming César Cedeño was not the best center fielder in Astros history.
12. ...that I remember when the only thing about the Astros worth cheering was Bob Watson scoring the one millionth run in MLB history.
13. ...that I was in attendance for Guy V. Lewis's last game as UH head coach.
14. ...that the most electric thing I've ever personally witnessed is a J.R. Richard fastball.
15. ...that I still think of The Summit as the best sports facility in Houston history and not as the home of a church.
16. ...that I remember that The Summit was built to house the Aeros, not the Rockets.
17. ...that I remember Calvin Murphy as an undersized shooting guard with a deadly jump shot, not as a clown who wears loud suits on television.
18. ...that the best QB ever to suit up for a Houston professional football team franchise was Jim Kelly of the Houston Gamblers.
19. ...that I still think of Gene Elston as the voice of the Houston Astros.
20. ...that I'm still full of glee just thinking about Earl Campbell demolishing the Miami Dolphins defense on Monday Night Football.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.