A Houston pharmacy accidentally dispensed a morphine prescription for a child ten times higher than what was actually prescribed, resulting in the girl's death, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Harris County District Court.
Cullen Care Pharmacy is accused of preparing 150 mg of morphine sulfate instead of the 15-mg dosage prescribed by a doctor at Texas Children's Hospital for six-year-old Jadalyn Williams in 2012. Williams suffered from sickle-cell anemia.
Williams's mother, Simone Allen, administered the medication on April 2, and Williams died the following day of morphine toxicity, according to the suit.
A lawyer for Cullen Care Pharmacy was unavailable for comment. We'll update if we hear back.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The lawsuit seeks damages of between $200,000 and $1 million, for past and future physical pain and suffering; mental anguish; medical expenses; and exemplary damages.