Lone Star College Stabbings
Highlights from Hair Balls
A day after themass stabbing at the Lone Star-Cy Fair campus, it appeared that all 14 victims in the attack on Tuesday, April9, would recover. According to Lone Star-Cy Fair President Audre Levy, seven of the victims have already left the hospital, and the four with the worst injuries have stabilized and been moved out of intensive care.
"All of the victims are okay," Levy said at a press conference last Wednesday morning. "Last night seven of the ones that were taken to the hospital were released. Today the others that were under intensive care, from all the information that has been given to us, they all are out of intensive care."
After being apprehended by campus police, student Dylan Quick, 20, was charged with three counts of aggravated assault.
This is the second violent attack on a Lone Star College campus this year. Three victims were shot after an altercation on the North Houston campus. Trey Foster, 21, was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
The 14 individuals assaulted in this most recent attack — there's still no confirmation as to whether they were students or staff, or whether Quick targeted them purposefully or haphazardly — all received injuries from a razor utility knife, a type made by the X-Acto knife and office products company.
According to Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia, who noted that Quick was apprehended four minutes after reports first came in, a second "precision knife" was found in Quick's backpack.
Still, 24 hours after the stabbings, there was little indication as to what set Quick off. Having worked a year at the campus's library, he was, by all indications, both a model employee and model student. While the sheriff noted that Quick admitted to having had "fantasies" since he was a child about stabbing others, and that he had been planning this assault "for some time," Garcia said investigators had yet to determine why Quick selected last Tuesday as the day of his assault, why he selected his school or what would have prompted such an attack.
"He has shared with us that he has had fantasies about stabbing people since the age of 8," said Garcia, who said that he had yet to see any substantiated allegations of bullying against the young man, who was born hearing-impaired and had received cochlear implants. "He did share that he has been planning this event for some time. We don't know what 'some time' means, and all we know is exactly what I've said."
Garcia noted that Quick has thus far been very "matter of fact" with investigators and has been forthcoming in the aftermath of the attack.
"You may be wondering what his state of mind was, how he comported himself as our investigators interacted with him," Garcia said. "The description given is that he's been matter of fact, that he has understood all the questions provided to him, that he has been interacting well with investigators and that he has just been very forthcoming with the information I've shared with you."
There was some question as to the lag between the initial reports of the assault, which came at 11:13 a.m., and the first campus-wide alert at 11:30, which went out to the 7,000 students on campus. According to Levy, the administration sent the alert only when the possibility surfaced that a second attacker might exist. The president downplayed any concerns that the lag time was unacceptable.
"That situation was unique in the fact that we had already apprehended the individual," Levy said.
According to Garcia, a tipster notified the Harris County Sheriff's Office that certain language used within a chat room — when and where were not disclosed — resembled the details of last Tuesday's attack, which occurred on both the first and second floors of the campus's Health Science Center. Quick's computer, among other materials, has been confiscated from his home.
Get the Weekly Newsletter