Meet West Virginia Head Coach Dana HORSEWOMEN!
Hey, look, before I get to my point here, let me first acknowledge that I understand when you're in a content-driven business like radio, television, or journalism, that mistakes are going to happen. We're all human, and with speed ruling the day over pinpoint accuracy in 2013, glitches like typos or mispronunciations can happen.
Hell, there will probably be at least three typos in this post alone between now and the time you finish reading. I get it.
That said, somebody responsible for graphics up at WSAZ in West Virginia had a really rough night earlier this weekend.
Quick backstory on this one, West Virginia head football coach Dana Holgorsen recently lost his running backs coach when Robert Gillespie decided to accept Butch Jones' offer to come coach at the University of Tennessee. So, Holgorsen had to hit the Rolodex, and find a replacement.
He quickly settled upon and hired JuJuan Seider, running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall the last few seasons and a graduate assistant at West Virginia back in 2008 and 2009. Naturally, Seider was ecstatic to return to Morgantown!
This is where WSAZ comes in. As the primary NBC affiliate in West Virginia, they reported the news of Seider's hiring along with his reaction. Or at least they tried to:
Again, if this were just a minor typo or single missing punctuation mark, I'd let it slide, but WSAZ's attention to detail (or lack thereof) in this screen shot makes the third shift at McDonald's look like the United States Army. Let's count the ways:
1. They attribute Seider's giddy "SOOOOO EXCITED TO RETURN!!" quotes to Holgorsen, which becomes apparent once you get to the words "SEIDER SAID," but reads kind of funny up to that point because until then it reads like Dana is referring to himself in the third person and is very thankful for himself.
2. The lack of a period and a closed quotation at the end of the graphic might indicate further thoughts in a second slide, but I'm going to assume that the person responsible basically just fucked it up. And why do I have the right to assume that? Well....
3. "DANA HORSEWOMEN"....that's why!
I have to believe that this is just an example of someone's "autocorrect" feature going seriously haywire, and that it's not some rube from West Virginia's thinking that this is the proper outcome to "Holgorsen...spelled like it sounds!" And I'll come totally clean, I didn't even know the word "horsewomen" was an actual word until I looked it up (It's basically a woman who rides horses. Duh.), I just assumed that whatever unfortunate soul hit SEND on these graphics had some sort of fetish for female centaurs.
Either way, whoever generated the graphics for the earthshaking "Seider to West Virginia" story for WSAZ probably shouldn't be holding their breath on that promotion or raise anytime soon.
(h/t Kegs 'N Eggs)
Listen to Sean Pendergast on 1560 Yahoo! Sports Radio from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and nationally on the Yahoo! Sports Radio network Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon CST. Also, follow him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SeanCablinasian.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Is it Legal For Border Patrol Agents to Shoot and Kill Unarmed Mexican Kids—So Long as...
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Sam Houston State Student Arrested On 4-Year-Old Charge After Stupid Tweet About...
- No Easy Ride: What Using METRO's New Bus Network is Like in a Low-Income Community