National Illegal Immigrant Sting Nets Over 2,900 Convicted Criminals, 125 in Houston
On Wednesday, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced the results of its "Cross Check" enforcement operation targeting convicted criminals who are also illegal immigrants. The sting conducted in all 50 states netted 2,901 criminals, including 125 in the Houston area. The seven-day operation was the largest of its kind and involved more than 1,900 ICE officers in 24 field offices.
According to ICE, all individuals taken into custody had prior criminal convictions including 1,282 with multiple convictions, more than 1,600 with felony convictions, 42 gang members and 151 convicted sex offenders. Of those arrested, 681 were fugitives who had been ordered to leave the country but had failed to do so and 386 were illegal re-entrants who had been forced from the United States multiple times.
In Houston, there were 125 arrests including:
- A 56-year-old man residing in Houston, Texas, from Mexico has a conviction for sexual assault of a child.
- A 39-year-old woman residing in Houston, Texas, from El Salvador, two convictions for felony assault.
- A 21-year-old man residing in Houston, Texas, from Honduras, was convicted of sexual assault on a child.
- A 24-year-old woman residing in Angleton, Texas, from Guatemala, two convictions for possessing marijuana; and tampering with physical evidence.
- A 19-year-old man residing in Navasota, Texas, from Mexico, convicted for possessing cocaine and criminal mischief.
- A 33-year-old man residing in Houston, Texas, from Honduras, was convicted of sexual assault with a child.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Chron Endorses a Homophobe for the HISD School Board, Again
Mon., Oct. 19, 7:00pm
Wed., Oct. 21, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 11:00am
Wed., Oct. 28, 7:00pm
- Ratings Wars: 5 Reasons the Texans Will Outpace the Astros on TV Thursday Night
- Colts-Texans, Week 5 — Four Things to Watch For