NFL Lockout: It's All But Official, Texans Torture Will Be at Least Delayed
Get ready for a total shutdown of the NFL: The player's union has decertified, meaning the labor dispute will now move to the (always swift-moving) federal court system.
It's all but certain that football fans will endure a work stoppage for the first time in more than two decades.
We all know this is squabbling between billionaires and millionaires and it's hard to feel sympathy for either side (although it sure seems it's the owners trying to grab more of a lucrative pie). So the only ones who suffer are the fans, the grass beneath the two fighting elephants.
If you're a Texans fan, look at the bright side:
1. You won't get your hopes up again "Come on," you say. "How could I get my hopes up after last year, coupled with them actually bringing back Gary Kubiak?"
Because you're a Texans fan. You are programmed to get your hopes up. A sharp training-camp practice, some player quotes about how much they love Wade Phillips and the new D, and you're dropping your cynicism like a three-year-old at a Wiggles concert.
2. You won't get your hopes sadistically killed Don't deny it: Two early-season wins would have had you saying Kubiak did indeed just need one more chance, and what with Peyton getting older the division's there for the taking and.....
3. You won't have to see the Texans bring back Kubiak after a 9-7 season that is capped with a loss in the wild card game Owner Bob McNair would see improvement, dammit, because hey, they made the playoffs. And all the other NFL owners would be congratulating him.
So yeah, a lockout sucks. But there are upsides.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- State Charges Forward With Licensing Immigration Lockups as Childcare Facilities
Fri., Feb. 19, 8:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 1:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 21, 6:00pm
- Man Jumps Into Buffalo Bayou Downtown, Feared Dead
- Wanna Make Sure You're Never in a Ted Cruz Ad? Take Off Your Clothes