Not-So-Classic Hot Wheels: The 10 Un-Hottest Hot Wheels Imaginable
Hot Wheels was, for a while, perhaps the coolest invention ever.
Built to go much, much faster than the staid old Matchbox cars, Hot Wheels also came with a DIY track where you could start them off high and have them leap off a ramp into something expensive in the living room, thereby earning no dinner for the night. Eventually you learned to better aim them, and did not starve to death.
The first Hot Wheels included such rocking machines as a Camaro, a Firebird, a Barracuda and a Mustang, cars designed to get young male hearts racing.
You can just feel the excitement here:
You might not feel the excitement, however, with the following ten Hot Wheels models.
10. A Greyhound bus Thrill to the rubber-burnin' adventures of interstate bus travel!!!
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. UConn Huskies College Football
TicketsThu., Sep. 29, 11:00am
Battle of the Piney Woods: SFA vs. SHSU
TicketsSat., Oct. 1, 3:00pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. UTSA Roadrunners Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 6:00pm
9. A snow plow "Call Mr. Plow, that's my name; that name again Is Mr. Plow." Hours of fun!
8. A Kinko's van Eventually Hot Wheels got involved in cross-promotions, resulting in such epic models as this Kinko's van, which we guess might have been cool to have in your Kinko's regional-HQ cubicle, but not really anywhere else.
7. A Good Humor truck Another example of marketing gone awry. Unless, of course, Good Humor makes the most bitchin'-est, fastest ice cream trucks in the world, but it keeps it a very big secret.
6. A farm truck Does not even come with farm animals that can bounce dramatically out of the truck to their deaths as you fly down Thunder Road.
5. A tank Hot Wheels, kids were told, go the equivalent of 200 mph in the real world. (We're sure scientists and mathematicians spent thousands of supercomputer man-hours determining this.) Even today, the fastest tank in the world goes about 50 mph. Get off my track, slowpoke.
3. World's Unsafest Truck In Which To Go Fast To be sure, sitting in the cab of this thing in real life as it barreled down a steep hill would get the heart pumping. Watching it make its blocky, anti-aerodynamic way down a Hot Wheels track, not so much.
1. A food van We'll admit this does look somewhat sinister, with the flames and the way the hamburger decal between the windows looks like a soldier in Ran. BUT IT'S STILL A FOOD TRUCK.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.