Our Most-Viewed Posts of 2009
When we sat down to assess our most popular posts of the year, the result wasn't entirely unexpected -- a blend of the sublimely bizarre, the achingly silly and the shockingly outrageous news from the year. In short, the average American's news interests in a nutshell.
Below are our top 10 posts from 2009, with links back to the original articles so you can relive the madness for yourself.
10. Killing Tom Softly With MySpace's Song: Our report on the beginning of the end of Myspace, as founder Tom was ignominiously ousted from his own company.
9. The Houston Zoo's Newest Giraffe: As Cute As He Thinks He Is? There is just about nothing better than getting up close and personal with a days-old giraffe. Or is there? (Stay tuned until the end of this list...)
8. The KBR/Halliburton Rape Case Goes Forward: Chris Vogel stayed on top of the case of a contractor who was raped in Iraq, an ever-evolving story with large-scale implications.
7. Man Wants to Lick Hooters (In Courtroom): Another court case, this time involving sexual discrimination at everyone's favorite wing place. If a man wants to be a Hooters Girl, what's stopping him? Well, Hooters...obviously.
6. San Angelo Mayor Springs a Hell of a Surprise on His Town: Or should we say a series of surprises? This was the Russian nesting doll version of a surprise for the small west Texas town.
Conan the Barbarian didn't exist in Renaissance times. In fact, he never existed at all. Sorry, dude.
5. The Bushes, Like You Have Never Seen Them (Or Wanted To): You've been warned.
4. Judge Reportedly Questioned Whether Woman Was Raped Because She Was "On Top": Next in the court docket... Is it a woman's fault if she was sexually harassed because she showed part of her ankle?
3. That Fancy-Ass New H-E-B on Buffalo Speedway Hates Blondes: Everyone loves a good blonde joke.
2. The Top 20 Freaks You'll Meet at Ren Fest: This is pretty self-explanatory. And not particularly kind. But, come on. These folks were pretty much asking for it.
1. Houston Zoo to Unveil OH DEAR GOD THAT IS CUTE: And our number one news story of the year -- the one that captured hearts across the nation -- was of Toby, the zoo's brand-new red panda. See? There is something cuter than a baby giraffe after all.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.