Southern Baptists Might Change Their Name: Five Options
Our willingness to keep up with the inner workings of the Southern Baptist Convention is easily taxed, so we're thankful Houston Chronicle religion writer Kate Shelnutt is there to pick up the banner.
She points us to the Baptist News, whose subscription we really meant to renew, once we actually ordered it and let it lapse, which says the Southern Baptist Convention might be looking for a name change.
As in losing the "Southern."
First they came for the Kentucky in Kentucky Fried Chicken...
"First, the convention's name is so regional," Southern Baptist Convention President Bryant Wright said. "With our focus on church planting, it is challenging in many parts of the country to lead churches to want to be part of a convention with such a regional name. Second, a name change could position us to maximize our effectiveness in reaching North America for Jesus Christ in the 21st century."
Hiding the "Southern" in "Southern Baptist"....well, like we said, in a world with "KFC" anything is possible.
So what are some potential names?
5. SBC Lo, and a Kentucky Fried Chicken shall leadeth the way. Plus it already comes with a cool logo:
4. The Cosmopolitan, Sophisticated Baptist Convention Lose the hickness! Plus, going from SBC to CSBC makes the transition easy!!
3. The Born-Aginners Don't lose the hickness!! It's who you are!!
2. The PBWAW Stands for the Parts of the Bible We Agree With. No need to mess with all those other parts, you know.
1. The Republican Party But hey, you're inclusive -- you love the Tea Party, too.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Cougars Easily Dismantle Navy, Win 52-31
- Legendary UH Coach Guy V. Lewis Dies at Age 93
- Saints-Texans — Four Things to Watch For