Ten Things You Have to Explain to Non-Houstonians
Houstonians love to brag about their town. But there are misconceptions about every city, whether they regard food, politics or transit.
Here are 10 things Houstonians have to tell misinformed out-of-towners:
Z-Ro is one of many Houston rappers influenced by DJ Screw.
Photo by Marco Torres
Photo by J Labrador
7. Our mayor is gay. People might think that Houston is red as all hell, but three-time elected Annise Parker is the second woman to be Houston's mayor, and Houston is the most populous U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor.
Photo by Moyan Brenn/td>
4. No, people don't ride horses to school and work. OK, maybe it's only young kids who are asked, "Do you ride a horse everywhere?" But the answer is no. Cops are probably the only people who ride horses in the city.
1. You'll meet a lot of people who are not originally from here. With the way companies are hiring in Houston, people come from all over to work here, especially when it comes to the oil industry.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Saints-Texans — Four Things To Watch For
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:00pm
Sun., Nov. 29, 12:00pm
Mon., Nov. 30, 7:00pm
Wed., Dec. 2, 7:00pm
- College and NFL Football: Thanksgiving Weekend's Best Bets
- The 10 Best Things About the Holidays in Houston