Change is what Houston's all about these days. Last year's deserted Downtown is this year's Downtown Living Initiative. We never take what makes this place special for granted, so we took a look at a few things about Houston culture that make us happy to live here.
10. Westheimer Road If you're new here, or maybe just terrible with directions, Westheimer becomes the default artery for getting around town, especially during a freeway traffic crush. In some ways, it's a pathway through all the socioeconomic levels of Houston from over-the-counter pharmaceuticals to lap dances.
Photo by Camilo Smith
8. The Beach Okay, so you won't get Caribbean-quality waters here, but we think it's pretty cool that we're less than an hour from the beach.
7. Car culture People will do any and everything with their automobiles, from the most fabulous to the most WTF-were-they-thinking. It's a fun surprise.
4. NASA Becoming an astronaut might be a pipe dream for most, but living here in Space City, you can become a regular visitor to Space Center Houston, and you know, reconnect with those dreams.
3. Diversity It's safe to say you can meet someone from anywhere in the world by stepping onto the streets of Houston. There are healthy-size communities here from African, Asian and Latin American countries, among so many others. The best part is that all the various groups brought their food to share.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Nonstop flights to anywhere Unfortunately, this is one of the things that make Houston a magnet for human trafficking, too. It's pretty easy to go from here to anywhere in the world, by plane or car.
1. Art scene This is no surprise to art aficionados here, but to the casual art consumer, Houston packs a boatload of offerings, from street art to indie film, and from fine art to opera and Broadway theater.