Texas Secessionists to Obama: Israel With 1967 Borders? We Want Texas With 1845 Borders
President Obama's call for Israel to revert to its 1967 borders has caught the attention of one of the most forward-thinking, sophisticated political thinkers of our state, Daniel Miller, the president of the Texas Nationalist Movement.
He has dashed off a letter to Obama saying, in essence, you think those Israel borders a good idea? Then get Texas back to its 1845 borders.
"It seems that you and your people have a desire to allow people the right of self-determination and return things to "the way they were," says Miller, apparently a big Barbra Streisand fan.
He calls for three things:
1. Return the United States to its pre-1845 border with Texas.
2. Recognize Texas as an independent and sovereign nation.
3. Take no actions of retribution and support our success wholeheartedly.
He -- ha ha! --adds a p.s." "Let's not call it secession. We can play off the 'Arab Spring' you supported and call it 'Texas Summer.' Has a nice ring, doesn't it?"
No comment yet from the White House. Or Rick Perry's office, for that matter.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- J.J. Watt Is Damn Near Immortal, Wins Third NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:30pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 8:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 1:00pm
- No, Houston Will Not Make a Lot of Money Hosting the Super Bowl
- Charged With a Crime? You Might Be Paying a Court Fee That Is Basically Un-Enforceable