Texas's Forgotten Artificial Reefs: Six Great Photographs
This wasn't here 30 years ago.
Photos by Chris Ledford, © Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
For the past 30 years, the Texas Artificial Reef program has been adding reef sites throughout the state's waters, with 68 reef sites in the Gulf of Mexico ranging from 40 to 360 acres in size.
The Texas Parks & Wildlife Department realizes most people haven't heard of the program. "The Texas Artificial Reef program has generally run silent and deep -- deep in its positive impact on marine ecosystems, recreational fishing and diving and coastal economies, silent because it's probably largely unknown to most people," TP&WD said this week.
The agency announced a plan to raise the profile of the program via some new Web pages dedicated to the artificial reefs that offer a comprehensive take on what's been going on.
"Artificial reefs personify recycling Texas-style," TP&WD says. "The program focuses on three types of materials: decommissioned drilling rigs in the Rigs-to-Reefs Program; highway bridge materials and other types of concrete and heavy-gauge steel in the Nearshore Reefing Program; and large marine vessels in the Ships-to-Reefs Program."
The Web sites feature some gorgeous underwater photography. Check these out:
6. Looking for directions "Jay-sus, Maude, for the life of me I can't read your handwriting!!!" he's probably not saying. But he does look confused.
5. And if the real thing don't do the trick / You're gonna burn it into the wick Now won't you -- barracuda? Yeah, it sounds cool enough, but that song's been stuck in his head for 11 frickin' years.
3. We just love what you've done with this rig!! We might not personally have used so much pink, but hey, it's your rig, right?
2. What time is it? We have no idea, but we do know we're 157 feet below the surface! Does that help?
Rice University Owls Football vs. Prairie View A&M University Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 22, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. UCF Knights Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. Florida Atlantic University Owls Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 5, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulane University Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 12, 11:00am
1. Casual Fridays Shorts and short sleeves. At least it wasn't Take Your Kid To Work Day.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.