The 10 Worst Burglary Neighborhoods In Houston (For The Moment)
What are the best neighborhoods to live in if you want to get burglarized? We've gathered 10 of the finest.
We looked at the most recent crime stats for HPD beats, which means the month of October. HPD generally doesn't like "raw data comparisons between police beats" because the info can be skewed, obviously, but what the hell -- you need to know, dammit.
Click on the individual links for a detailed map of the neighborhood in question.
10. Beat 7C10 -- near Quitman and the Eastex Thirty-seven burglaries by our count in this northeast neighborhood. It includes the Fifth Ward and Pinecrest.
CAUGHT IN THE ACT -- of posing for a burglary photo
Battle of the Piney Woods: SFA vs. SHSU
TicketsSat., Oct. 1, 3:00pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. UTSA Roadrunners Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 6:00pm
Rice University Owls Football vs. Prairie View A&M University Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 22, 2:30pm
9. Beat 7C20 -- Kashmere Gardens, et al. Generally the same part of town as the 10-th ranked neighborhood.
8. Beat 3B10 -- Oak Forest and environs Up along the Hempstead Highway and the Northwest Freeway, this beat includes Northwest Mall and Brookhollow.
7. Beat 1A20 -- Montrose Not all of Montrose -- mostly the parts east of Montrose Boulevard. It also includes Avondale and part of the Fourth Ward.
6. Beat 17E40 -- Fondren Southwest Ah, you knew this was coming. But you may be surprised it only checks in at number six. Generally both sides of Bellfort, in between South Gessner and Hillcroft. Hey, Hair Balls lives not far from there!! 5. Beat 18F50 -- around Sharpstown Mall Remember, these are burglary stats, so having a shopping mall in the neighborhood isn't that big a deal. (Robbery stats might be another matter.)
4. Beat 12D10 -- around Almeda Mall Still, the malls keep popping up on the list. Maybe cash-challenged shoppers hit up the local neighborhoods before entering the malls.
3. Beat 19G20 -- the far west side It's the Wild, Wild West, with two of the top three slots. This one includes Bellaire West and Catalina Square.
2. Beat 19G10 -- near Westwood Mall And something called Concourse South, which we haven't heard of.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.