The Eight Most Beautiful Churches in Houston
Last month we gave you our list of the six ugliest (and rich) churches in Houston, monstrosities foisted upon us by well-to-do congregations.
Today it's time to walk on the sunny side of the street, and present the eight most beautiful churches in town, with photos by Rachel Bohanan.
8. Antioch Baptist This 1875 building was, according to the church's website, the first brick structure in Houston owned by blacks.
"Today members still worship in the sanctuary's original handmade pews," the church says.
7. St. Basil the Great This Greek Orthodox church on the far west side is the first of two St. Basil entries, doubling any other saint around.
6. St. Paul's Designed by the same architect who did the San Jacinto Monument, groundbreaking for this beauty took place only a few months before the 1929 market crash.
"Funds were often so tight that if any other buyer could have been found for the massive, elegant structure, the mortgage holder might have foreclosed," the church says.
5. Chapel of St. Basil A modern edifice on the campus of Montrose's University of St. Thomas, this was designed by the renowned Philip Johnson.
His description, according to the school: "The building consists of three basic geometric shapes: a cube for the body of the church, a sphere for the dome and a granite plane connecting these shapes, by intersecting both the dome and the cube."
4. St. Anne's This Catholic church is a mainstay of Montrose. The architecture is intended to evoke the Spanish missions on the southwest.
2. Immaculate Conception An East End institution, Immaculate Conception also evokes the missions of early Texas.
1. Blessed Sacrament A landmark of the Second Ward, in a classic style that resonates with a feeling of solidity and sanctuary.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Federal Judge Vacates Tom Brady's 4 Game Suspension For Deflate-Gate
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Is it Legal For Border Patrol Agents to Shoot and Kill Unarmed Mexican Kids—So Long as...
- Sam Houston State Student Arrested On 4-Year-Old Charge After Stupid Tweet About...