The Five Best Dom DeLuise Movies, Such As They Are
Dom DeLuise -- actor, chef, and father of that guy who was on 21 Jump Street -- passed away Monday at the age of 75. Rather than wallow in misery and grief at the loss of another of cinema's titans, we prefer to look back fondly at a movie career mostly spent co-starring alongside Gene Wilder and Burt Reynolds.
5. "I always wanted to be...Captain America!" -- The Cannonball Run (1981)
Let's be honest, the best part of any Hal Needham movie is the outtake reel, and the Cannonball movies are the perfect example. Here, the experience is that much more rewarding if you enjoy watching Burt Reynolds slap the shit out of people.
4. "Kill Him!" -- History of the World, Part 1 (1981)
DeLuise and Mel Brooks go way back. It's just nice that Dom was willing to help his old buddy out in what is widely regarded as the beginning of Brooks' long, excruciating directorial decline.
3. "Get the honey, Junior." -- Fatso (1987)
He was capable of showing his tender side, though it was often fleeting. Take this scene, which quickly devolves from a study in subdued emotion into a bunch of fat guys talking about stuffing Reese's Peanut Butter Cups into jelly doughnuts in a way that's even more unpleasant than it sounds.
2. "And *you* got a lovely face!" -- The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1975)
It's comforting to watch a scene with Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, and DeLuise from 30 years ago and realize that as long as there are comedies, unattractive actors will always have options. I'm sure Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, and Jonah Hill would agree.
1. "The French Mistake" -- Blazing Saddles (1974)
I never really understood the subject of this song until college. And even now I don't regard it as a "mistake" so much as an "experimental period."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Astros Take Royals, Announcers by Surprise with Game One Win
Mon., Oct. 19, 7:00pm
Wed., Oct. 21, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 24, 11:00am
- Why Are Neighbors Angry That the Glenbrook Golf Course is Becoming a Botanical Garden?
- Cougars Destroy SMU, Storm Out To 5-0 Record