The Five Best Talk-Show Guests, Ranked
The new Tom Hanks movie Larry Crowne was a bland bomb, but that's okay: He did publicity for it, and that means showing up on (just about any and all) talk shows as a guest.
What makes a good talk-show guest? Someone who understands the dynamic -- you're not having anything close to a real conversation, so have two or three good anecdotes and get off the stage. Two other factors:
1) Be game for prepared bits;
and 2) Don't appear with Jay Leno. Even the best guests wilt under the baffling power of his ineptitude as a host.
Hanks is one of the top five talk-show guests on the circuit right now, but is he number one? Let's see:
5. Nathan Lane You don't know Broadway, so you don't know Nathan Lane, except for Mouse Hunt or some other bad movie. But David Letterman has called him one of his consistently best guests, and again, it comes down to understanding his role.
And he's always up for a song:
4. Peter O'Toole The tradition of the grand British theater anecdote is slowly fading away as the masters of the art die off. There are no more Richard Burtons or Alec Guinnesses to tell long, involved, name-dropping tales that inevitably involve copious amounts of liquor. But we still have Peter O'Toole, who brings the added value of never quite knowing if he's all there at the moment, or if that pause is just momentary.
3. Matt Damon Always charming, Matt Damon seems to get as much of a kick out of his prepared anecdotes as the audience.
And of course, there are these two things:
...both of which were first-round Hall of Talk-Show Guest Fame inductees.2. Martin Short
The inside-show-biz shtick never gets old, as he performs as a talk-show guest while playing off the cliches of being a talk-show guest. Extra points if the show has him get up and sing.
1. Tom Hanks Yes, he's number one. Willing to do just about anything, either in a pre-taped piece or a bit of spontaneity.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- The Next To Last Prediction of the Houston Texans 53-Man Roster
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
- 5 Questionable Laws That Go Into Effect This Week
- 3 Reasons I Went From Being A Gun Nut To Supporting Gun Control